Friday 31 October 2014

Senzeni Na?

I’ve been struggling to write this story for a while. What can one say when your government tricks you? When it pulls the wool over your eyes to protect politicians’ personal financial interests?

I respect the police. They protect us. They have a job and they do it to the best of their ability. Yes, there are times when things fall through the cracks (bribery, corruption, etc.). But on the whole, police are necessary.

However, when policemen and women are used by their government to commit violence, it leaves leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I become disillusioned.

I remember when the Marikana story broke in 2012: miners had attacked and killed police officers. I was not interested in their reasons for the attack. I completely and wholeheartedly disagreed with the principle of attacking and killing police officers. Arming yourself with pangas and spears and harming those who were there to keep the peace, was wrong. Those were the images that were broadcasted across television networks and online news sites.

And then on 16 August 2012, 34 miners were killed.

I was saddened that people were killed in such a horrific and gruesome fashion. But I didn’t feel anything for the miners or for their families.

Fast forward to 2014 and the Farlam Commission of Inquiry of the Marikana massacre takes place. I followed the story via radio (567, now Cape Talk, and John Maytham). Details (rumours?) emerged that there was no provocation from the miners and that police officers were not being called to testify because their version of the events would jeopardise the state’s case.

I didn’t know what to believe. A documentary called Miners Shot Down was released and was being screened at the Cinemuse theatre in Stellenbosch in June. I went to watch it.


I was unprepared for what I witnessed that evening. As I watched the movie, a knot formed in my stomach and became tighter and tighter and tighter…

I cried.

I cried for the miners who were killed. I cried for the families of the miners. I cried for the police officers who were killed. I cried for the police officers who were involved. I cried for not feeling anything in 2012.

I cried.

Miners Shot Down is the most shocking and eye-opening narration of the Marikana massacre of 2012. I have no words to describe the atrocities that were committed by those in power. I have lost all respect for Cyril Ramaphosa, the Deputy President of my country, South Africa. He, who had previously fought for miners' rights and was instrumental in the formation of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), was now the instigator of violence against striking miners and was trampling on their rights.

I urge you to watch this movie!

We must remember what happened at Marikana. We must remember the miners who were killed. We must remember the man in the green blanket.

We must remember.

Senzeni na?
What have we done?



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a real eye opener. Will have to watch this movie. Since I also thought it's wrong to kill policemen. Thanks for the insightful piece. IO

    ReplyDelete