Thursday 20 November 2014

Song Quest

I bought the book Song Quest by Katherine Roberts at an SPCA charity book sale . It was one of their R50 sales, i.e. buy a bag for R50 and you can fill it with as many books as you’d like. Winning!



What drew me to this book was its cover artwork. Yes, yes, the old adage “Don’t judge a book by its cover”. But this was a charity book sale. There are literally thoooooooousands of books. You need to have some sort of filter. *shrug*

I am not a big fantasy-adventure reader. But the new strategy I have employed when buying books at charity sales is to take anything that appeals to me. The books are cheap and this is the one way to ensure that I pick up new genres instead of sticking to my same-old book styles.

So… I absolutely loved Song Quest! The main characters were different to what I usually enjoy in the sense that they were other worldly creatures and not just ‘humans’ living in a fantasy world. There were so many interesting characters including mermaids! Well, merlee actually, but still. Mermaids!

The book is very well written. I was easily able to visualise the places and colours and scenes that were being described. I wanted to live in this world… I, too, wanted to be a Singer.

Book relationship: Love.
Reading mood: Light and easy, but concentration needed to keep track of the characters.
Story sense: Good triumphing over evil.
Memorable quote (more like passage): “She rolled on her back and gazed at the sky, paddling with her fingers to keep herself afloat. So peaceful out here, safe from humans who walked on two legs and were afraid of the sea… As the merlee splashed around her, and their children played games in her hair, the Wavesong, Singer Toharo, even Frenn, leaked out of her head, to be replaced by the pleasures of plankton on the tongue, of surfing a deserted beach under a full moon.”


No comments:

Post a Comment