Friday 7 November 2014

Turkey Baby!


Before April 2014, I had never travelled internationally. NEVER. As a result, major travel FOMO had set in and I was at a point that I was ready to go anywhere and do anything! During December 2013, Qatar Airlines was running a special on return flights between Cape Town and Turkey. My sister and her friends snapped up the special and I decided to join them.


The best time to travel for us Saffers is during April. South Africa has so many public holidays over the Easter period. If you play your cards right, taking a few days leave can result in being away from work for three weeks! This is what happened to me and I definitely did not complain. :)

A few days before we were meant to leave, Turkey released its electronic visa application for all travelers wanting to enter the country. Previously, South Africans were not required to apply for a visa when entering Turkey. I had nightmares of being barred at the gates because the visa would not have arrived in time! The site stated that the visa would be emailed within 24 hours, but it was suggested to apply a week in advance. It turns out that the application was super easy. I received my E-visa within a few hours of applying and that was that.

Actually the most stressful part of the pre-trip prep was trying to find my passport!
Travel tip: Always pack your passport in a safe place when at home.

Yes, two weeks before I was meant to travel internationally for the first time, and I couldn't find my passport. I went to Home Affairs to find out how much it would cost to get a temporary one and the answer was R980.00!! R180.00 for the temp, R400.00 penalty fee because the passport was still valid on the system and R400.00 to process the new passport. I said screw that and turned my room upside down that night (literally).

I eventually found the bloody thing and it was the most beautiful sight in the world to a would-be traveller! The relief and happiness I experienced at that moment caused me to collapse in a heap on the floor in the middle of my room. I was officially going to Turkey!


I must admit – I was feeling nervous. Would the plane explode? Did I pack enough clothes? Did I have all necessary documentation? Weird stuff like that. This was my first trip, okay? Don’t judge.

Turkey Baby!

(Yes, this was the catchphrase for the trip).



No comments:

Post a Comment